UC Davis bioinformatics training program is co-hosting a bioinformatics workshop with the iPlant Collaborative, cyberinfrastructure project of the National Science Foundation. iPlant offers a number of resources including data storage and sharing, web interfaces to bioinformatics platforms, cloud computing, and high-performance computing. The workshop will be hosted by local UC Davis trainers and iPlant staff.
Note: Researchers working on all organisms are welcome! (This not limited to plants.)
Participants will get hands-on experience with the following iPlant cyberinfrastructure:
- Discovery Environment: Simple web portal for managing data, analyses, and workflows. Complex bioinformatics applications can be run without knowing command line programming; users can also integrate their own tools.
- Data Store: Scalable, secure, and reliable storage for terabyte-scale data.
- Atmosphere: One-click, on-demand cloud computing.
Topics will be driven by the datasets of the attendees. The workshop will present an overview of iPlant and then encourage the formation of teams around similar bioinformatics applications – possible topics include:
- Genome Assembly
- Transcriptome Assembly
- Analysis of RNA-Seq data
- Genome Annotation
- Variant Discovery
- QTL Identification
Who should attend?
- PIs, post-docs, grad students, industry users working the life sciences (plants and animals)
- Preference given to attendees who will have data to work with at the workshop
- iPlant is open to US and non-US users
How much does it cost?
Registration fees for the two-day workshop are $350 (academic/non-profit/government) and $500 (for profit/private industry). Fees include light breakfast, lunch and snacks, but do not include lodging, parking, dinner, etc.
Enrollment will be limited to 30 people. Students will not be needing laptops, as the workshop will be taught in a computer lab.
March 26-27th – Workshop
April 3rd – First virtual follow-up
*For those registering on or after the 20th of March, please contact us immediately at email@example.com for event details, and to ensure that your data is available to you on time.